The 2019 DrupalCon in Seattle will take place from April 8 to 12 at the Washington State Convention Center.
The Drupal Association has been hosting DrupalCon events since 2005, so some attendees will have plenty of experience preparing for and navigating the conference. The 2019 Seattle DrupalCon will probably attract some newbies, too.
Regardless of how many times you’ve been to DrupalCon events, the following tips can make tech conferences more enjoyable and useful.
Plan to Attend 2019’s Executive Summit
The Executive Summit on Tuesday, April 9, gives CIOs and CTOs an intensive learning experience from Drupal experts and developers. Many people attending the Executive Summit have limited experience with Drupal, so discussions will cover a wide range of subjects relevant to beginners and advanced users.
The Executive Summit is a must-see for anyone interested in Drupal. Whether you’ve spent years developing content, or you’ve just recently become interested in Drupal’s features, you will learn crucial information at the summit.
Drupal Founder Dries Buytaert will attend the Executive Summit’s networking breakfast to discuss the past and future of Drupal’s open-source content management features.
Choose the Right Track to Learn About Drupal’s Abilities
DrupalCon Seattle 2019 will include three tracks designed to meet your specific needs.
The Builder Track will focus on topics like:
- Open source project tools
- Building inclusive communities
- Monitoring website metrics that matter
Brian Frank, Contegix’s Senior Director of Product and Engineering, will present his lighting talk “NEW Automation Tool Simplifying Deployment by Contegix” on April 10th at 12:40 p.m. PST on the Exhibit Hall’s Ambitious Stage.
Visit booth #705 to learn about the latest features in data compliance, security, and other managed hosting solutions from Contegix.
The Content & Digital Marketing Track will appeal to marketing teams, content editors, and content produces. If you’re a content or marketing expert, you can expect to learn about:
- Upcoming disruptions to marketing strategies
- Planning digital experiences for website visitors
- Developing content that attracts more users
The Agency Leadership Track includes discussions about how businesses can use Drupal to become more successful. Featured speakers in the Agency Leadership Track will discuss topics like:
- Increasing sales to clients
- The myths behind why some CEOs succeed while others fail
- Helping companies stand out from competitors
Bring the Right Stuff
You probably have your standard packing list down to a science, especially if you’re a frequent business traveler. However, here are a few commonly forgotten items to keep in mind.
- External battery pack: You don’t want to leave an important conversation because your mobile devices just died on you. Get a high capacity battery pack so you don’t have any interruptions in your schedule.
- Plenty of business cards: A handful of cards won’t cut it here. Make sure you have enough to cover the entire event so you don’t miss out on valuable connections.
- The perfect clothing: You’ll want to look professional yet be comfortable during the day. The conference also gives you plenty of opportunities to network and have fun during the evening, so bring comfortable, attractive clothes for dinners and parties.
- Light jacket: The conference center might end up feeling a bit cold if you’re used to warmer temperatures at home. Don’t let the climate control distract you from valuable opportunities.
- Hangover cure: Conferences tend to bring out the party animal in everyone, so you’ll be happy you brought a hangover cure. Even if you don’t drink, someone around you could certainly use this.
Set Up a Cool Out of The Office Reply
You need to focus on the sessions at DrupalCon, so turning on the out of office mode on your email is a no-brainer. Have a little fun with your OOO reply to let your clients know you’ll be learning new things to benefit them. For example, you could say something like “I’m unable to answer your email because I’m at DrupalCon learning cool stuff. Can’t wait to show you when I return!” You can also let people know about the sessions you’re attending at DrupalCon so they can come and find you if they’re also attending the event.
Plan Your Visit
DrupalCon features many keynote speakers, summits, and training opportunities. Map your days in advance so you can attend the events that matter most to you.
Book Timeslots at Exhibitors’ Booths
You can make many connections at DrupalCon, but sometimes it’s hard to get enough one-on-one time with the people you want to talk to the most. Some exhibitors make your life easy by allowing you to book a timeslot with them. For example, Contegix, is unveiling our fully managed Drupal hosting solution, including Dev, Stage, and HA Production environments, orchestrated by our NEW automated deployment engine. Reserve your demo timeslot today.
Prioritize Your Meetings
It’s easy to overextend yourself during conferences. You have so much to do and see. When creating your schedule, prioritize the most important meetings and stay flexible. If you try to plan everything out to the minute, you’re going to end up stressed out because of sessions running long or getting caught up in a conversation with an exhibitor.
Take Advantage of Discounts
You can get discounted rates at the Hyatt Regency on Howell St. and W Seattle on 4th Ave. Reserve your rooms as soon as possible to get the discount.
Update Professional Profiles before the Conference
DrupalCon teaches attendees many helpful skills, but it also gives you networking opportunities. As you meet new people, many of them will search for your online profiles.
Update your professional profiles on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, and other social media platforms so everyone will find accurate information about your career.
DrupalCon is an incredible event that has a lot to offer developers, agencies, and other members of the Drupal community. This guide will help you get the best ROI out of your attendance. Come prepared to get the most out of the conference.